Monday, December 12, 2011

We interrupt this life to bring you… A KING!

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After HIS mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the HOLY SPIRIT.  Matthew 1:18 NKJV

People complain (myself included) that tragedy strikes at the worst time.  All right, I agree that if we had to pick, there is never a good time for tragedy.  “I’ll pass on tragedy today, but a double serving of mercy with a side of blessings and hint of protection thrown in” describes my consumer tainted Theology quite well.  But doesn’t it seem that when things are at their worst, even more is piled on?

I think that happens with the good as well.  Do we expect to receive GOD’s blessings?  I don’t.  I’m always shocked.  I pray.  I rail.  I cry out.  And when I receive a wonderful blessing from GOD, my response?  I’m not expecting it.  “Oh, hey, this is great, I guess YOU were listening.  Wow, imagine that.”  Oh, me of little faith.

Joseph was a carpenter, soon-to-be husband.  We know that his ancestor was King David—how cool is that!  But it didn’t help much in the money department.  How do I know?

And when the days of her purifying are fulfilled, for a son, or for a daughter, she shall bring a lamb of the first year for a burnt offering and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest… And if she be not able to bring a lamb, then she shall bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons… Leviticus 12:6-8 KJV

When the baby was born, what did Mary and Joseph bring?  The Law of the LORD also says that parents have to offer a sacrifice, giving at least a pair of doves or two young pigeons.  So that is what Mary and Joseph did (Luke2:24 CEV).  Very poor indeed.

So Joseph was going about his life, wanting to get married, have a family.  BAM!  “Census time—register in your hometown.  It’s time to stand up and be counted.  Do it or die.”  So Joseph and Mary trotted off to Bethlehem.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that before they got married and left for Bethlehem, Joseph’s finance was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit?  The WORD is entirely too understated.  Found?  Like she was lost and then “she’s having the SON of GOD.  Yea!  It’s party time.”  Found, understatement, indeed.  Or this verse; And GOD said, Let there be light: and there was light (Genesis 1:3 KJV).  Really?  When I think on these verses and others, I can only say, really?  It just wasn’t that difficult for GOD to accomplish?  I guess not…

But enough with my digressions.  Joseph, going about his life, finding his finance pregnant with NOT his child, decides to get rid of her without the violence.  He’s trying to get his life back on track, such that it can be put back on track.  Does GOD help him?

While Joseph was thinking about this, an angel from the LORD cam to him in a dream.  The angel said, “Joseph, the baby that Mary will have is from the HOLY SPIRIT.  Go ahead and marry her.  Then after her baby is born, name HIM JESUS, because HE will save his people from their sins.  Matthew 1:20-21 CEV

No, GOD derails his life even further.  Does HE let Joseph put away a wife that is bearing a child that is NOT his?  No.  Joseph is called to raise that child.  The SON of GOD.  Will JESUS have a stamp on HIS forehead, proving to everyone that HE is the SON of GOD?  No.  Some believe.  Most do not.  Joseph, while being called to do GOD’s work, endures the pain of others believing he is a liar.  Just as others did not believe or understand JESUS.

And HE [JESUS] began to say to them, “Today, this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”  So all bore witness to HIM, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of HIS mouth.  And they said, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”  Luke 4:21-22 NKJV

Did Joseph understand the blessing that interrupted his normal life?  He probably didn’t have a clue.  Or maybe just a glimpse.  Why do I say that?  A twelve year old JESUS…

When his parents found HIM, they were amazed.  HIS mother said, “Son, why have you done this to us?  Your father and I have been very worried, and we have been searching for you!”  JESUS answered, “Why did you have to look for me?  Didn’t you know that I would be in MY FATHER’s house?”  But they did not understand what he meant.  Luke 2:48-50 CEV

The point to this post?  Joseph had his life interrupted by what appeared to be a tragedy.  A pregnant finance.  NOT his child.  And probably not on Joseph’s timetable.  Instead, it was the greatest blessing ever given.  JESUS.  HIS power will never end; peace will last forever.  HE will rule David’s kingdom and make it grow strong.  HE will always rule with honesty and justice.  The LORD All-Powerful will make certain that all of this is done.  Isaiah 9:7 CEV

No, I do not like tragedies.  But I do like blessings.  I need to keep my eyes open and be ready for when they come.  Will I let them derail my life or put me back on track with HIM?  GOD is good.  HE gave us the single greatest blessing ever known two thousand years ago.  But it did not end there.  HE promises us more blessings to come.

Will you be ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment