Friday, December 30, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing

The LORD’s dazzling glory then filled the temple, and the priests could not go in.
2 Chronicles 7:1b-2 CEV

For this post, I want to write on the goodness of GOD.  A simple topic but one I believe we all struggle with beneath the surface.  Or at least I struggle.  I hold that GOD is good.  That statement, GOD is good, is the definition of my being.  Because if I did not believe in the goodness of GOD, then everything else is a waste of time.  But this year I struggled.  Christmas cards.  I had to remove family and friends from my list because of their untimely deaths.  Or I had to send separate cards because of divorce or separation.  I look around and see pain and suffering.  The scattering of sheep.  And the enemy gaining ground.

And so I sit, thumbing through my Bible.  But I could only recall parts of verses and not where they were found.  I don’t even have a focus, just a vague idea of what I want to say.  GOD is good.  So I pull out my nifty Bible reference but where it has helped me so many times in the past, I could not find what I was searching for.  In desperation, I type phrases into several search engines.  Bingo.

For the LORD is good; HIS lovingkindness [mercy] is everlasting.  And HIS faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 100:5 (NASB)

I have a start.  As with all my Bible studies, I look up the references listed in the center column of my Bible.  I find several more Psalm passages with basically the same sentence.  And then I come to Solomon.  Solomon quoted these Psalms during the dedication of the temple.  The building of the temple is done; that glorious first one.  Solomon prays a prayer (all of 2 Chronicles 6) and GOD’s glory, HIS Shekinah Glory fills the temple.

Glory.  Maybe I should write on the glory of GOD?  I still don’t have a focus on the goodness of GOD so I do a little research on glory.  Pulling out my Systematic Theology texts, I read about GOD’s glory.  In two volumes that could hurt my toe if dropped, there is one paragraph.  The root of the word glory is related to “weight” and “heaviness.”

Okay, on a personal note, that makes sense.  When I feel closest to GOD, most in HIS will, there is a heaviness in my being.  A weight or a burden that is desirable and yet uncomfortable.  I want to flee but also draw near.

Glory.  I want to do more research and then I realize that I’m rereading C.S. Lewis’s book “The Weight of Glory.”  The title says it all.

I decide to write on the glory of GOD.  So I go back to 2 Chronicles and read:

Now when Solomon had finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house.  The priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD’s house.  2 Chronicles 7:1-2 NASB

Wait one minute.  The priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD’s house.  What?  The priests could not enter?  How is that even possible?  What does that mean?

Chronicles has many of the same stories as Kings so I flip to the corresponding history in Kings.

Suddenly a cloud filled the temple as the priests were leaving the most holy place.  The LORD’s glory was in the cloud, and the light from it was so bright that the priests could not stay inside to do their work.  I Kings 8:10-11 CEV

The light was so bright, the priests could not stay inside--GOD's glory.  As I type that, I think of Moses.  Wasn’t there a story where Moses was up on the mountain and when he came down, his face shined so brightly, the children of Israel had him wear a veil?  Hmm, yes… Exodus 34:29-35.  Wow, Moses had just come down with the second set of stone tablets (the first ones he broke in anger).  Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with GOD.  Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him (Exodus 34:29-30 ESV).

They had him wear a veil.  But when Moses went to talk with GOD or tell the people GOD’s word, he removed the veil.  Wow.  And that was only the reflected glory of GOD.  The children of Israel, who saw first hand GOD leading them out of Egypt, parting the Red Sea, could not face the reflected glory of GOD?

So what does that mean for us today?  GOD’s glory is so great that we cannot hope to approach?  HE did tell Moses that Moses could only see HIS back because Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me, and live (Exodus 33:20 KJV).  We cannot stand in HIS presence?  Is there no hope?  Ah, it is coming together.  Bring in the New Testament.  JESUS said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the FATHER, but through ME.” (John 14:6 NASB)

GOD’s glory is dazzling.  None of us fallen humans can stand in HIS presence.  Goodness, the children of Israel couldn’t even stand the reflected presence of GOD in Moses.  There is no hope for us, EXCEPT through HIS SON.  The ONE HE sent to bring us to HIM.  JESUS.

And now back to the goodness of GOD.  What does a good GOD do when HIS children are out of fellowship with HIM?  Does HE bring about reconciliation?  Does HE send a WAY for HIS children to come to HIM?  Does HE give all that HE has in the hope that a few will come to HIM?

Yes.  Yes.  And yes.  JESUS said Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly FATHER feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they? (Matthew 6:26 ESV)

We are fallen yet we have value with the FATHER.  We had no hope but JESUS provided a WAY.  We flee from HIS glory but yet GOD still seeks us out, as a loving FATHER does.  As a GOD who is good does.

Instead of writing on the goodness of GOD, I need to write on our response to a good GOD.  What is my response to a GOD who is good?  Do we want to hide HIM under a veil?  Or do we let HIS reflected glory shine through us?  My hope and my desire is to shine…

3 comments:

  1. This is a very good post and explains a lot of stuff to me. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think of heaven. I believe that there we will be able to be completely in God's glory. With all our sins, His glory is too overwhelming for us now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sandra: I'm always surprised where the post takes me. Part of the reason I write instead of just read! I learn more when I write than just reading.

    @Knierysmith: Heaven and GOD's glory--ABSOLUTELY! It gives new meaning to the verse "for the LAMB in the center of the throne shall be their shepherd, and shall guide them to springs of the water of life; and GOD shall wipe every tear from their eyes." Rev 7:17

    ReplyDelete