Friday, November 4, 2011

Writing HIS WORD upon my heart or stapling a reminder to my forehead

Anyone who serves GOD will discover sooner or later that the great hindrance he has in the LORD's work is not others but himself.  First line The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee

                GOD calls us to hide HIS WORD in our heart.  YOUR WORD I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against YOU (Psalm 119:11 NKJV).  Or to write HIS characteristics upon our brain Let love and loyalty always show like a necklace, and write them in our mind (Proverbs 3:3 CEV).
                But sometimes I think just writing them on my heart or fixing them in my mind isn't enough.  There are times when I think I should staple this line from Nee to my forehead.  Not that it is inspired like the WORD of GOD.  Of course, it doesn't come close to the WORD of GOD.  But it is a practical reminder.  A kind of "loving others for dummies" abridged version.  Staple it, not for the world to see, but for me to see every time I look in the mirror.
                Among other things, GOD calls us to serve HIM.  And in our service to HIM, we are expected to work with others.  Working with the lost, I can show them love.  They are lost, right?  They don't know the Good News.  They have not experienced HIS love.  HIS mercy.  HIS forgiveness.  They are not Christians, why should I expect them to act like one?
                But what about working with other Christians?  That is where I remove my necklace of love and loyalty.  I put on my battle armor and I'm ready to fight.  After all, if they would only act right, believe the way I do, do it as I want it to be done, I could finish my job of witnessing to the lost.  I, I, I.  I see the problem...
                Let love be genuine.  Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good (Romans 12:9 ESV).  Let love be genuine.  What a commandment.  I can fake it but to be real?  That means taking a risk.  I might get hurt.  Abhor what is evil.  Oh, that's easy.  Genocide.  Oppression.  Injustice.  Those are the easy abstract answers but then I start thinking on the meaning of evil.  Is it evil to withhold forgiveness?  To keep a grudge?  To enjoy a little revenge, not a lot, just a little.  Are those evil?  Maybe minor ones, I mean, none of us are perfect.  Minor flaws are okay, right?  But the lesser of two evils is still evil.  Hold fast to what is good?  I hold fast to what is pleasurable.  I hold fast to what is desirable.  But to hold fast to what is good?  What is good?  Maybe it has something to do with the earlier verse let love and loyalty always show like a necklace.  Or maybe to let love be genuine.
                Love one another with brotherly affection.  Outdo one another in showing honor (Romans 12:10 ESV).  Ick.  Love with brotherly affection?  Can't I just not be mean to them?  Do I have to show affection?  Honor?  Some are not desirable.  Some stink.  Some are obnoxious.  Show honor?
                Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the LORD.  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.  Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality (Romans 12:11-13 ESV). 
                The calling of GOD is a big one.  When HE calls us, nothing is small.  Working with children, or the elderly or the forgotten may not seem like big, important work.  But it is HIS work.  Therefore it is important.  The Pilgrim’s Prayer quoted in the beginning of Brother Lawrence’s The Practice of the Presence of GOD: With Spiritual Maxims sums it up nicely:  “LORD of all pots and pans and things… Make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates!”   We serve not only to help others but to grow ourselves.  We learn to be more CHRIST-like when serving.  My path on the Christian road, is continually straightened with HIS course corrections, HIS hand being in everything.  Working with others that I consider a hindrance to HIS work?  As the Nee statement goes, it is me that is a hindrance.  I need to wear love and loyalty as a necklace, showing it to others. 
                I am the one needing to be changed.  Not to just “show” love but for it to be genuine.  Not to just hate evil but to hold on to the good.  Show brotherly affection—it's easy to say I love but to show affection?  That means I care.  Be zealous about HIS work.  Excited.  Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, constant in prayer, helping the saints and showing hospitality.  These are HIS how-to guidelines.  How to not only survive in a fallen world but to love others.  I learn to love those who are fallen and those who are saints.
                The Watchman Nee statement?  I'm the hindrance to GOD's work, not others?  How do I summarize?  Let me turn it around.  GOD doesn’t want us to focus on ourselves but others.  Jesus says, “The second [greatest commandment] is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31 ESV).
                How will you love your neighbor today?

No comments:

Post a Comment